Saturday, June 7, 2014

Truckin' to Oregon

It's been a busy week. Driving to Oregon with my son David was a highlight. I rented a truck in Colorado Springs and friends helped load it with furnishings from our home to take to the townhouse in McMinnville. David flew to Colorado to help me make the 1500 mile drive. I attended a seminar on worship some years ago, and the presenter asked each of us to complete the sentence, "Writing a sermon is like ..." I wrote, "Driving across Wyoming." I should have added, "In a 28' truck." Both can feel endless. But David made the trip much more enjoyable. We regularly took turns driving and did a lot of catching up, not only through Wyoming but Utah, Nevada, and finally Oregon.

Now it's time to unpack, pray for Margie and Steve to arrive safely from Colorado Springs, and begin the work of Interim Pastor at First Baptist Church of McMinnville. The staff and leadership team have been most helpful as we prepare together for this congregation to make the transition from one pastor to the next. I attribute this willingness to the work of God's Spirit - equipping us to move forward, and shaping hearts, minds, skills, and the cohesiveness of community - as we celebrate Pentecost together at the start of a new ministry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment